MarkalPoppy seeds - organic
|250 g - 3.21 €|
|Best before ≥ 11/07/2018|
1 pc in stock!
Poppy seeds, here of raw quality, are small round blue-black or gray-black seeds of the oilseed family with a delicate (pine)nutty flavour and interesting nutritional values. Poppy seeds can be eaten raw or roasted, out of the bag or ground to flavour or garnish salads, vegetables, cakes, breads and pastries, stews, and sauces made with cream, curry or others.
Latin name: Papaver somniferum)
* from certified organic agriculture
Raw quality Produkt. "Raw quality" food is treated below a maximum of 45°C, because enzymes and healthy nutriments (e.g. a large part of vitamins) are destroyed beyond this temperature.
These poppy seeds come from opium poppy, a medicinal plant cultivated for opioid alkaloids extracted from the dried milky latex capsules containing the seeds. These opioid alkaloids include morphine and codeine, narcotic agents which for generations have been used for the treatment of severe pain and whose most important adverse effects in medical use are drowsiness and breathing difficulty. Opioid alkaloids are present in the latex of the poppy plant, which permeates all parts of the plant except the seeds. But notwithstanding the fact that poppy seeds do not contain opioid alkaloids they may, however, be contaminated by the sap of the poppy plant as a result of damage caused by pests or harvesting processes. For these Markal poppy seeds the absence of morphine is controlled on each lot.
Allergen prevention measures implemented by the company MARKAL:
* the packaging schedule is defined based on allergens
* complete cleaning after each product
* additional cleaning at the end of workingshifts by a specialized company
Nutrional values per 100g
- energy: 2147,4kJ / 519,8kcal
- fat: 41,6g of which saturates: 4,5g
- carbohydrates: 8,6g of which sugars: 3g
- fibre: 19,5g
- protein: 18g
- salt: 0,08g
- calcium : 1 448mg
- phosphor : 848mg
- potassium : 699mg
- magnesium : 331mg
- iron : 9,43mg
As poppy seeds are usually consumed in small quantities in culinary preparations, their high nutrient levels can only have moderate effects. However it may be interesting to note, in addition to the above, that the high iron and manganese contents (which facilitates the ironassimilation) could help people with anemic tendency, that the presence of zinc can support tissueregeneration, scarring and slowing cellular aging and that in traditional Chinese medicine poppy seeds are used to combat nausea and vomiting.
Poppy seeds are rich in protein, fiber, essential fatty acids, manganese, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium (the latter three in fairly good proportions), iron and copper. They also have good levels of vitamins B (particularly B1), essential for the production of energy, and vitamin E, with antioxidant properties. Their proteins have an improved biological value wenn consuming them with cereals or potatoes and their fatty acids are mainly oleic (omega 9) and linoleic (omega 6), beneficial for heart and brain. On the other hand the high content of poppy seeds in lecithin (important for mental balance) gives them calming and analgesic properties but without making them to a sleeping remedy.
Several epidemiological and clinical studies have found that regular consumption (about 30g per week) of husk fruits, peanuts and oilseeds has a cholesterol-lowering effect, reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, gallstones in men, gall bladder ablation and colon cancer in women.
For Markal poppy seeds the absence of morphine is controlled on each lot.
Recommendations for use
- Simply: sprinkle poppy seeds on the prepared meals to give colour and flavour to cakes, cookies, breads and pastries, stews and salads (with cabbage or potatoes ...). The seeds are also used mixed with creamsauces, curries, sauces for meat and fish, as decoration with vegetables or to subtly parfume marinades.
- Ground seeds: it is better to buy the whole seeds and to grind them just before use because the contained oils can easily go rancid in contact with air. Ground seeds are used in various pasta to make noodles, cakes, biscuit rolls etc .. and as a thickener for sauces or cakes.
Precautions for use
- Store away from light, in a cool and dry place, in a closed packing.
- Could contain traces of gluten, sesame, mustard, almonds, hazelnuts, cashew nuts.
Santi-shop code: MK114