MarkalSmall Spelt wholemeal - organic
|500 g - 3.25 €|
|Best before ≥ 07/09/2018|
This small spelt flour has a slightly brown color and it is integral because it contains all the elements of the grains (edible envelopes, germ).
Small spelt (or einkorn, engrain, small German wheat, petit épeautre, Latin name Triticum monoccocum) has a soft grain and is tastier and more digestible than great spelt (Triticum spelta) (or dinkel wheat, hulled wheat, German wheat), often named simply "spelt". Einkorn flour can be used as spelt flour to make bread, pasta, biscuits. As the viscoelastic properties of small spelt flour are limited, it is difficult to use it as single ingredient for bread (it is better to mix it with wheat or great spelt flour) but it gives bread a unique nice taste.
The nutrient values of small spelt are higher than those of great spelt. Einkorn is namely particularly rich in magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and contains all eight essential amino acids (phenylalanine, leucine, methionine, lysine, isoleucine, valine, threonine and tryptophan), being thus one of the few (pseudo-)cereals containing these 8 amino acids (with quinoa and amaranth).
Spelt and einkorn are very old varieties, also called "Gallic wheat " or "wild wheat". Long sidelined due to the low profitability of their culture they have become attractive again because of their nutrient richness. Long forgotten in the selection for large cultures, they have a gluten at a law rate of 7%, which is of much better quality than that of current wheat and generally well tolerated by people with gluten intolerance.
Thanks to their high fibre content, whole engrain and spelt promote regular bowel movements. In general, a high-fibre diet can help prevent cardiovascular disease, control of type 2 diabetes and is associated with a lower risk of colon cancer. In addition, a high intake of fibre provide greater satiety.
Since they contain gluten (though at low rate of 7%) as weath, rye, barley oat, spelt and engrain and all the products derived from them, are not recommended for people with celiac disease.
Latin name: triticum monoccucum
Small Spelt whole flour*
* from certified biodynamic agriculture
- Small Spelt and Spelt are rustic grains whose cultivation requires little water and does not support the input of fertilizer. As the yields are low (and that of the small spelled is the lowest) and the grain is dressed (covered with a ball (30% of the weight of the seed) at harvest) and therefore requires dehulling after threshing, spelt and small spelt have long been forgotten in favor of common wheat and are currently a relatively expensive cereal.
- Allergen prevention measures implemented by the company MARKAL:
* the packaging schedule is defined based on allergens
* complete cleaning after each product
* additional cleaning at the end of workingshifts by a specialized company
Nutritional values per 100g
- energy: 1884,5kJ / 351,5kcal
- fat: 3,5g of which saturates: 0,8g
- carbohydrates: 62g of which sugars: 37,2g
- fibre: 10g
- protein: 13g
- salt: 0,02g
Recommendations for use
Precautions for use
- Store away from light, in a cool and dry place, in a good closed packing.
- Contains gluten and could contain traces of sesame, mustard, nuts, soy, lupine.
Santi-shop code: MK096