MarkalAmaranth - organic
|250 g - 1.56 €|
Amaranth is a pseudo-cereal without gluten, with a slightly spicy flavour and used as cereals. Amaranth seeds are richer in proteins than most cereals, and their amino acids are better balanced. They are an excellent source of magnesium, iron, phosphorus, copper and zinc, provide a good supply of potassium and folic acid, contain also calcium, riboflavin, vitamin B6, thiamine, niacin.
Amaranth seeds can be used as such in all kinds of sauces, soups, omelettes ... or cooked in water (about 25 minutes) as accompaniment, optionally with spices, or boiled into porridge. Processed into flour, amaranth seeds make pastries more moist and sweeter. This flour can be used for the preparation of biscuits, pancakes, waffles,.... When amaranth seeds are grilled/heated they puff up like popcorn, are called "l'popped or puffed Amaranth".
In the realm of the Incas, Aztecs and Mayas, amaranth or "Incas wheat" was known for its nutritional and spiritual qualities. Healers used it as sacred wheat in religious rituals, the plant was synonymous with immortality. Amaranth was rediscovered a few years ago and its use for current consumption is encouraged by the authorities. In the language of flowers amaranth is associated with faithfulness and enduring love.
Latin name: Amaranthus hypochondriacus
* from certified organic agriculture
* the packaging schedule is defined based on allergens
* complete cleaning after each product
* additional cleaning at the end of workingshifts by a specialized company
- energy: 1410-1450kJ / 320-350kcal
- carbohydrates: 52-56g, of which total sugar: 2-3g
- fat: 6-7 g, of which saturated fat: 1.5-2g
- Calcium: 175-190mg
- Sodium: 1-2mg
- Iron: 8-9mg
- Vitamine A: 25-35microg
- Fibres 10-13g
Proteins of amaranth seeds are more balanced in amino acids as cereals, especially in lysine, methionine and tryptophan,
Recommendations for use
- Amaranth can also be used as flour, but often, especially for bread, it is better to add a cereal with bread making quality (eg wheat or barley).
Precautions for use
- Allergens that may be present on the production line and be a risk of cross contamination: gluten, sesame, soybean, mustard, nuts, lupin.
Santi-shop code: MK056