MarkalSmall Spelt - organic
Small spelt (or einkorn, engrain, small German wheat, petit épeautre, Latin name Triticum monoccocum) has a soft grain and is tastier and more digestible than great spelt (Triticum spelta), often named simply "spelt". Einkorn can be used as rice, hot as accompaniment or cold as a salad, or as spelt to make bread, pasta, biscuits. Its nutrient values are higher than those of spelt. It is particularly rich in magnesium, phosphorus, calcium and contains all eight essential amino acids (phenylalanine, leucine, methionine, lysine, isoleucine, valine, threonine and tryptophan), being thus one of the few cereals containing these 8 amino acids (with quinoa and amaranth).
Spelt and einkorn are very old variety, also called "Gallic wheat " or "wild wheat". Long sidelined due to the low profitability of their culture they have become attractive again because of their nutrient richness. Long forgotten in the selection for large cultures, they have gotten a gluten at a law rate of 7%, which is of much better quality than that of current wheat and generally well tolerated by people with gluten intolerance.
Thanks to their high fibre content, whole engrain and spelt promote regular bowel movements. In general, a high-fibre diet can help prevent cardiovascular disease, control of type 2 diabetes and is associated with a lower risk of colon cancer. In addition, a high intake of fibre provide greater satiety.
Since they contain gluten (though at low rate of 7%) as weath, rye, barley oat, spelt and engrain and all the products derived from them, are not recommended for people with celiac disease.
Since it contains gluten such as rye, wheat, and all derived products, it is not recommended for people with celiac disease.
This product is no more available. Please find hereafter a link to the category to which it belonged:
Small Spelt whole grains*
* from certified biodynamic agriculture
- Small Spelt and Spelt are rustic grains whose cultivation requires little water and does not support the input of fertilizer. As the yields are low (and that of the small spelled is the lowest) and the grain is dressed (covered with a ball (30% of the weight of the seed) at harvest) and therefore requires dehulling after threshing, spelt and small spelt have long been forgotten in favor of common wheat and are currently a relatively expensive cereal.
- Allergen prevention measures implemented by the company MARKAL:
* the packaging schedule is defined based on allergens
* complete cleaning after each product
* additional cleaning at the end of workingshifts by a specialized company
- energy: 1347-1387 kJ / 305-345 kcal
- protein: 10,5 to 12,5 g
- ssimilable carbohydrates: 53 g to 55 g
- fat: 2-4 g of which saturates 0.25 to 0.45 g
- total fiber: 15.6 to 17.6 g
- Sodium: 2.6 to 2.8 mg
- Zinc: 4.4 to 5.4 mg
- Manganese: 4.8 to 5.8 mg
- Iron: 3.2 to 4.2 mg
- Magnesium: 124-126mg
Recommendations for use
It can also be ground to make bread (but not as good as wheat), bicuits pancakes...
Precautions for use
- Store away from light, in a cool and dry place, in a good closed packing.
- Contains gluten and could contain traces of sesame, mustard, nuts, soy, lupine.
Santi-shop code: MK035