MarkalWild rice - organic
|250 g - 6.79 €|
Originating from the Canadian lakes this "palustris" whole wild rice, also called Canada rice, Indian rice, or water oats, has been collected for centuries by the native Indians. Its black and long grains are crispy and have a unique nutty flavour. They can be used like rice or incorporated into different recipes.
Wild rice is a graminaceae (Poaceae) of the genus Zizania, distinct but very close to that of rice (Oryza), and both rices belong to the tribe Oryzeae. Wild rice grows in the shallow and quiet waters of lakes, ponds and slow-flowing streams. In Canada the "palustris" variety is usually harvested in natural ponds. Its grain, whole, is a source of valuable dietary fibres equivalent in quantity to those of wholegrain rice, but it contains more proteins than rice, and of better quality because wild rice is richer in lysine. Wild rice is also a good source of minerals and vitamins.
Rice is considered safe for people with celiac disease or gluten-intolerance. However, for oats this security is still not entirely sure. Although wild rice would be more akin to oats as to ordinary rice and that it has not been officially tested for its effects concerning celiac disease, the Canadian Association of celiac disease and many other organizations are currently considering it can be safely consumed by celiac or gluten intolerant people.
Latin name: zizania palustris
100% very long whole Wild Rice (Zizania palustris)*
* from certified organic agriculture
- Packaged under protective atmosphere.
- Allergen prevention measures implemented by the company MARKAL:
* the packaging schedule is defined based on allergens
* complete cleaning after each product
* additional cleaning at the end of workingshifts by a specialized company
- energy: 1500kJ / 354 kcal
- protein: 14g
- carbohydrates: 69 g of which 2,5g suggars
- fat: 1 g, of which 0.15g saturated
- salt: 0,002g
- fibres: 6,5g
Precautions for use
- Possible traces of gluten, nuts, mustard, sesame and soy.
Santi-shop code: MK012